Maj. Gen. Scott Jansson
KIRTLAND AIR FORCE BASE – Maj. Gen. Scott Jansson will assume command of the Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center (AFNWC) in a ceremony this morning at Hardin Field.
Before coming to the AFNWC, Jansson was the Air Force Program Executive Officer for Weapons and director of the Armament Directorate at the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.
Jansson replaces Maj. Gen. Sandra Finan, who is going to the Pentagon to be the deputy chief information officer for Command, Control, Communications, and Computers. Gen. Ellen Pawlikowski, Air Force Materiel Command commander, will preside at the ceremony.
During the ceremony, Kirtland’s 377th Air Base Wing will officially transfer from Air Force Material Command to Air Force Global Strike Command. Maj. Gen. Jack Weinstein, 20th Air Force commander, will preside over the realignment.
The weapons center will remain under AFMC, but will be restructured.
General Jansson received his commission upon graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1984. He has held a number of acquisition and sustainment engineering, program management, staff, and command positions for Air Force air and space systems. He has served as a group commander and system program manager for the F-16 program, a wing commander for two wings and as a vice commander for the Ogden Air Logistics Center.
Prior to his current assignment, General Jansson served as the Commander, DLA Aviation, a field activity of the Defense Logistics Agency.
1984 Bachelor of Science degree in astronautical engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1989 Master of Science degree in astronautical engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
1990 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 Advanced Program Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Ft. Belvoir, Va.
2001 Senior Acquisition Course, Defense Acquisition University, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2001 Master of Science degree in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2002 Executive Program Managers Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2007 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1. July 1984 – May 1988, Satellite Development Engineer and Chief, Nuclear Detonation Detection Branch, GPS Joint Program Office, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
2. May 1988 – December 1989, Graduate Student, Astronautical Engineering, School of Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. January 1990 – January 1993, Chief, Operations and Chief, Space Testing, Consolidated Space Test Center, Onizuka AFB, Calif.
4. January 1993 – July 1996, F-16 Special Projects Manager and F-16 Core Avionics Program Manager, F-16 System Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. August 1996 – June 1997, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. June 1997 – May 1999, Director, F-16 Programs, Air Force Program Executive Office for Fighter and Bomber Programs, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. May 1999 – July 2000, Executive Officer, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. August 2000 – June 2001, Graduate Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
9. June 2001 – June 2003, Chief, F-22 Production Team, F-22 System Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. June 2003 – May 2004, Materiel Group Director, F-16 Programs Division, F-16 System Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. June 2004 – January 2005, F-16 System Program Manager, F-16 System Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. January 2005 – May 2005, Commander, F-16 Systems Group, and F-16 System Program Manager, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. May 2005 – June 2006, Commander, F-16 Systems Group and F-16 Development Systems Manager, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
14. June 2006 – August 2007, Commander, 508th Aircraft Sustainment Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
15. August 2007 – August 2009, Commander, 508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
16. June 2009 – August 2009, Commander 84th Combat Sustainment Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
17. August 2009 – March 2010, Vice Commander, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
18. March 2010 – March 2011, Director, Iraq Security Assistance Mission, United States Force-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq
19. July 2011 – March 2013, Commander, Defense Logistics Agency Aviation, Richmond, Va.
20. April 2013 – present, Air Force Program Executive Officer for Weapons, Eglin AFB, Fla.