- Bring MVD staff and private contractors who issue licenses into compliance with the law.
- Make MVD customer friendly. She will improve the culture at MVD, stressing customer service over bureaucratic overreach, and promote rather than discourage use of Driver Authorization Cards so people can simply obtain their needed ID cards and get on with their lives.
- Educate the public so people understand that non-REAL ID cards are valid forms of identification issued by the state that are good for almost all purposes.
- Implement a renewal-by-mail system so that individuals who have complied with the statute can renew valid ID cards and authorizations by mail as they have in the past.
- Require the Secretary of the Taxation and Revenue Department, which oversees MVD, to add additional valid documents that ID-seekers can use to obtain identification, such as:
- Proof of residency or receipt of services in a New Mexico homeless shelter; or
- Qualifying medical records
Change the name of the Driver’s Authorization Card to a “New Mexico Driver’s License”. This simple name change will help clarify both its purpose and validity.
Require an easy-to-renew system for non-REAL ID driver’s licenses and ID cards.
Include confidentiality and privacy protections for all driver’s license and ID holders.
Pass clear, nondiscrimination laws that prohibit businesses, employers, and others from rejecting someone who has a New Mexico ID instead of a license that complies with federal Real ID.