TEEN CENTER News:
Los Alamos Teen Center is gearing up for its grand opening and ribbon-cutting ceremony, which kick off at 4 p.m., Friday, Oct. 2.
The Teen Center is located inside the Community Building at 475 20th St. and is operated by The Family YMCA. Following brief remarks from County Council representatives, teen center staff, and invited guests, the building will be open for tours by members of the community and refreshments will be served on the deck overlooking Ashley Pond.
The highlight of the evening’s activities is expected to be the Lip Sync Battle scheduled for 5 p.m. Participants include Kurt Steinhaus, Carter Payne, David Israelevitz, George Marsden, Michelangelo Lobato, Lynn Ovaska, and Michelle Holland, Kristy Ortega – and more.
Other activities slated include:
- teen band, the Nobodies (Drake Terrill-Drums, Reagan Hall-Rhythm Guitar, Akira Kawano-Bass, and Nicanor Gonzales-Lead/Rhythm Guitar), performing original music 4:30-5 p.m.;
- tours for the general public led by Youth Mobilizers;
- art activity for young children;
- drop-in Arts and Resiliency with Ericka Becker in the art studio;
- karaoke 6-7 p.m.;
- yoga with Kristine Colbentz 6-7 p.m.;
- basketball free-throw competition with prizes donated by Alex Kirk, and lawn games outside 5-6 p.m.; and
- pool, foosball, and a table tennis tournament will be ongoing throughout the evening.
After 7 p.m., the teen center will be reserved for teens only.
As we all ebrace and enjoy the new facility, program planning for new offerings as well as current program expansions are underway. If you’d like to be a part of the ongoing conversation or want to share your ideas for teen programs, please contact Sylvan Argo, Los Alamos Teen Center Director, at email@example.com. LATC has a new phone number: 505.695.7415.
The Teen Center is also hiring for general staff as well as program Coordinators and Facilitators. Please see the careers page at www.laymca.org for job descriptions and employment applications.
LATC is operationally funded by Los Alamos County and is FREE and open to youth attending Los Alamos High School and home schoolers. Additionally, we have a myriad other project partners and donors that help make our programs possible.
Hours: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and 1-11 p.m. Saturday
LATC has various enrichment programs, activities, events and trainings offered free to teens, in addition to youth-led projects with opportunities for teens to receive stipends.