Los Alamos Firefighters Extinguish Chimney Fire

Deputy Chief Justin Grider
Los Alamos Daily Post

Los Alamos firefighters doused a chimney fire that ignited late this afternoon at a home in the 2300 block of 35th Street.

“We had multiple reports of heavy smoke in the area at about 5 p.m., and when crews arrived, they saw that a chimney was on fire,” Deputy Chief Justin Grider said. “Our firefighters were able to extinguish the fire before it spread to the rest of the house.”

Grider praised residents for calling in the smoke, which enabled firefighters to save the home. The homeowner was home at the time of the fire and was one of the callers to 911, he said.

“This community cares so much for each other and watches out for each other and it’s never more evident than when they see smoke or fire … they let us know immediately and we appreciate that so much,” Grider said. “Also, I can’t say enough about how great our dispatchers, police officers and firefighters are in taking care of our community.”

Grider explained that chimney fires are most often caused by creosote buildup. He advises residents who use their fireplaces or heat stoves as their primary heat source to have their chimney professionally cleaned two to three times a year. Once a year is fine for chimneys used on no more than an occasional basis, he said.

Click here for additional chimney safety tips.