After consulting with Los Alamos National Laboratory, and in cooperation with the Santa Fe National Forest, the Los Alamos Fire Department has announced that Los Alamos County will enter into Stage II Fire Restrictions, effective immediately.
Los Alamos County Stage II Fire Restrictions.
The following acts are prohibited until further notice:
- Building or maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, or stove fire on public or private land. Propane grills can be used;
- Smoking. Smoking is allowed in vehicles, homes, and on paved/cleared surfaces only;
- Using fireworks, explosives or other incendiary devices in unapproved areas. Fireworks can only be used on paved/barren areas with adequate extinguishment capabilities;
- Operating a chainsaw in a forested area, or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, is prohibited;
- Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine in forested areas without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order;
- Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame in forested areas. Permit for specific uses can be obtained; and
- Discharging firearms except where permitted by the Los Alamos Fire Marshal.
Stage II Exemptions:
Persons with a written permit from the State Forestry Office 505.476.3353 or LAFD Fire Marshal’s Office 505.662.8305 that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act. Any exemption does not absolve an individual or organization from liability or responsibility for any fire started by the exempted activity.