The first big issue is that the facility is expensive:
- $100,000 annual fee paid by Los Alamos County to LACDC to run WRVC; and
- $150,000 paid by Los Alamos County for ‘free shuttles’ to take visitors to Bandelier.
That is a quarter of a million dollars spent to efficiently shuttle people out of town.
Here are several fixes for the WRVC that there is time to implement before another tourist season passes us by:
- better maps;
- better display cabinets;
- employees trained to mention Los Alamos business and restaurants;
- a TV screen with a movie loop showing local highlights;
- Install a second business showcase to advertise local shopping without delay. (CB FOX has kindly offered to supply the cabinet for free);
- Allow restaurant signs in the bus waiting area; and
- business signs in the buses themselves.
These improvements are very fast and low-cost.