I just read in the Los Alamos Daily Post (link) that the County Council is considering building a splash pad park in White Rock. My initial response was “Boy the County can’t wait to spend our tax dollars on nonsense once again.” The worse part of it is that they want to borrow more money to get this project and others done. It seems to me that we haven’t learned anything from watching our national government take us the citizens into debt that could possibly collapse our economy.
Do you realize that the splash pad area is such a bad idea and let me share the reasons why I think it is:
- It will only be used a maximum of two months out of the year during hot weather. These type of projects are built in Phoenix and other places where they can be utilized several months out of the year;
- The cost of building this park is not worth going into debt for;
- It will be built in White Rock, which means it will only serve that community for the most part;
- Once again as citizens of Los Alamos/White Rock, we will be stuck with subsidizing maintenance, etc.; and
- How many children will actually use this facility? People already have an Olympic size swimming pool in Los Alamos (which we have to subsidize out of our tax dollars to maintain) where kids enjoy swimming. There are several community pools as well that can keep kids entertained and cooled off in the summer.
My final point is this: I did not receive a survey questionnaire asking for my input or opinion. Why not take an official survey sent to our homes to see what we the people want to do with our tax dollars! And that goes for the other projects like an ice skating park. Do something with the one we already have. Use your creative minds to see other alternatives and possibilities. Everyone that I know is watching how they spend their hard earned money and giving more of our money to the County for such projects is not in our best interes. I strongly advise that you seek our input first!