Here are a few ideas that would bring visitors to Los Alamos, no matter what the slogan is:
- Build an affordable attractive rustic lodge with a choice of dormitory or family units, a shared kitchen, gathering places, like a hostel; offering talks, activities, and information on trails, recreation, history, and other attractions.
- Train trail guides and offer themed guided bike or walking trips in the summer and fall, transportation from a central point, and possibly lunch. These could be at several levels of difficulty.
- Provide a package deal for visitors to include reduced fees for entry to the pool, golf course, the Y climbing wall, Bradbury and history museums, and other attractions.
- With the success of Mozart on the Rocks last summer as a model, plan a concert series in a wilderness venue, such as the ski hill, throughout the summer.
- For one of the summer concert series, have several bands playing along the canyon trail, with the path lit by solar lights, booths selling refreshments along the way, so that people can stroll from one venue to the next in a wooded environment.
All these suggestions emphasize our natural setting, which is the best we have to offer.