Are you an adult with an ongoing health condition? Join a free 2.5 hour once a week MyCD Workshop sponsored by the Los Alamos Retired and Senior Organization and the Family YMCA.
You’ll get the support you need, find practical ways to deal with pain and fatigue, discover better nutrition and exercise choices, understand new treatment choices, and learn better ways to talk with your doctor and family about your health. If you have conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, chronic pain or anxiety, a MyCD Workshop can help you take charge of your life.
MyCD Workshop will be held once a week for six weeks, 1-3:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Feb. 3 at the Betty Ehart Senior Center. Learn from Pauline Schneider, executive director of the Los Alamos Retired and Senior Organization and Paula Roybal Sánchez, home economist – both trained leaders with health conditions themselves.
Discussion topics include:
- Session 1 – Feb. 3: Introduction to Workshop, Group Introductions, Mind-Body Connection/Distraction, Getting a Good Night’s Sleep, and Introduction to Action Plans;
- Session 2 – Feb. 10: Feedback and Problem Solving, Dealing with Difficult Emotions, Introduction to Physical Activity and Exercise, Preventing Falls and Improving Balance, and Making an Action Plan;
- Session 3 – Feb. 17: Making Decisions, Pain and Fatigue Management, Endurance Exercise, Relaxation: Body Scan, and Making an Action Plan;
- Session 4 – Feb. 24: Better Breathing, Healthy Eating, Communication Skills, Problem Solving, and Making an Action Plan;
- Session 5 – March 3: Making Healthy Food Choices, Medication Usage, Making informed Treatment Decisions, Dealing with Depression, Positive Thinking, and Making an Action Plan; and
- Session 6 – March 10: Working with your Health Care Professional and Health Care System, Weight Management, Looking Back and Planning for the Future. The workshop will allow you to set your own goals and make a step by step plan to improve your health – and your life!
The workshop is free, but pre-registration is required. Space is limited, so register early. To register or get more information, call the Los Alamos Senior Center at 505.662.8920.
If you are a handicapped or disabled individual in need of special arrangements in order to participate in this program, contact Pauline at the Senior Center, 505.662.8920