Adults with an ongoing health condition are invited to join a free 2.5 hour “MyCD Workshop” sponsored by the Los Alamos Cooperative Extension Service, Los Alamos Retired and Senior Organization, and the Family YMCA.
Participants will get the support, find practical ways to deal with pain and fatigue, discover better nutrition and exercise choices, understand new treatment choices, and learn better ways to talk with the doctor and family about their health.
“If you have conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, chronic pain or anxiety, a MyCD Workshop can help you take charge of your life,” LACES Home Economist Paula Roybal Sanchez said.
The MyCD Workshop will be held once a week for six weeks from 1:30-4 p.m., beginning Tuesday, June 11 at the White Rock Town Hall.
Learn from Roybal Sánchez, Pauline Schneider, executive director of the Los Alamos Retired and Senior Organization and Paula Roybal Sánchez, Extension Home Economist,Los Alamos Cooperative Extension Service, trained volunteer leaders with health conditions themselves.
Workshop topics include:
- Session 1–June 11: Introduction to Workshop, Group Introductions, Mind-Body Connection/Distraction, Getting a Good Night’s Sleep, and Introduction to Action Plans
- Session 2–June 18: Feedback and Problem Solving, Dealing with Difficult Emotions, Introduction to Physical Activity and Exercise, Preventing Falls and Improving Balance, and Making an Action Plan
- Session 3–June 25: Making Decisions, Pain and Fatigue Management, Endurance Exercise, Relaxation: Body Scan, and Making an Action Plan;
- Session 4–July 2: Better Breathing, Healthy Eating, Communication Skills, Problem Solving, and Making an Action Plan
- Session 5–July 9: Making Healthy Food Choices, Medication Usage, Making informed Treatment Decisions, Dealing with Depression, Positive Thinking, and Making an Action Plan
- Session 6–July 16: Working with your Health Care Professional and Health Care System, Weight Management, Looking Back and Planning for the Future. The workshop will allow you to set your own goals and make a step by step plan to improve your health – and your life.
The workshop is free but pre-registration is required. To register or get more information, call 662-8920.
If you are handicapped or disabled individual in need of special arrangements in order to participate in this program, notify contact the Los Alamos Cooperative Extension Service at 662-2656 or email@example.com
For more information, contact the Los Alamos Cooperative Extension Service at 662-2656 or firstname.lastname@example.org.