The Los Alamos Public Schools released a recap of this morning’s fire alarm activation at Los Alamos Middle School.
At 7:29 a.m. today, the Los Alamos Middle School fire alarm system was automatically activated from a sensor in the hallway between the staff lounge and the art room.
- LAFD and LAPS facilities personnel were dispatched to check the building;
- Safety first – everyone left the building safely; students were sent to the football field and other evacuation areas; staff helped with traffic control;
- The Superintendent provided a live KRSN interview from the LAMS parking lot to help keep parents informed;
- At 7:47 a.m., LAMS staff and students were cleared by LAFD and LAPS facilities personnel to enter the building following a sweep of the building;
- We believe the cause of the fire alarm was exhaust from an outside source, either a roof top unit or leaf blower that was being used at the time in the area;
- There were no injuries.
We extend thanks to everyone who assisted with the building evacuation and with the escorting of students to the evacuation areas.
We also extend a sincere thank you to parents who were very understanding and patient regarding traffic back-ups during the morning drop off.
The next step is to conduct a “lessons learning” to identify what went well and areas for improvement.