LAPS Superintendent Dr. Kurt Steinhaus
Greetings from the Superintendent’s Desk:
This message contains information about delayed start, school cancellation, or early dismissal due to snow or ice for the Los Alamos Public Schools.
With today’s winter storm warning, LAPS has tuned-up all snow removal equipment and we have a crew reporting early Monday morning.
Announcements, usually by 5:30 a.m., will be sent via the media, district web page, LAPS School Messenger, and information lines.
- Aspen Elementary 663-2277
- Barranca Mesa Elementary 663-2732
- Chamisa Elementary 663-2472
- Mountain Elementary 663-2327
- Pinon Elementary 663-2682
- Los Alamos Middle School 663-2375
- Topper Freshman Academy 663-2512
- Los Alamos High School 663-2512
- LAPS District Office 663-2230
In general, if the Lab is on a delay, school opening will be delayed; if the Lab is closed due to weather, our schools will be closed
When school is dismissed early or cancelled for the day, all after school programs including athletics (both home and away contests) and activities are cancelled
Two-hour Delayed Start
Buses will arrive at bus stops two hours later than the usual pickup time.
School start times:
- Elementary schools – 10:20 a.m.
- LAMS – 10:00 a.m.
- LAHS – 9:50 a.m.
Parking lots will usually be cleared and ready for buses and cars by 7:30 a.m. Please allow our maintenance staff to clear the parking lots. Sidewalks will usually be cleared by 8 a.m.
Elementary Schools on Wednesdays: no school when there is a delay – Pre-School is cancelled and YMCA programs start at noon.
When you see snow and ice on the roads
- Safety first
- If possible, get up earlier than usual to clear snow and provide extra travel time
- Please be extra cautious when driving
- Wear footwear that helps prevent slips, trips, and falls
- Take advantage of teachable moments – weather provides an incentive for students to write stories, learn science, and even calculate travel times
- Encourage students to talk about their experiences getting to school in the snow
- Exercise extra patience
- Snow and ice can cause stress; thus, try “giving an extra hand to your neighbor”
Please remember that people have different tolerances for weather and we want to be understanding of each other. Thank you.