Los Alamos National Laboratory was approached by the American Red Cross to partner on a project to install new smoke alarms in Los Alamos residences.
The first phase will focus on Tsikamu Park, a community that houses residents 55 years and older. This volunteer opportunity is scheduled on a LANL ‘A’ schedule Friday, so let’s all get together and help with this life-saving effort!
To show our LANL Team Spirit — every volunteer will receive a baseball cap, embroidered with our LANL logo, to proudly wear at the event and identify our LANL team! Sign up soon, as we only need 40 volunteers on June 12.
American Red Cross Home Preparedness Campaign in Los Alamos:
- When: June 12; 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Where: We will meet at San Ildefonso Road and Sioux Street
- Contact: Sandra Darling-Roberts @ Red Cross: 505.262.6163 (firstname.lastname@example.org ) – RSVP or ask questions
- Description: We are installing smoke alarms in homes in Tsikamu Park as part of the American Red Cross Home Fire Preparedness campaign ( http://l.facebook.com/l/iAQGzk7l3AQFEKYDfCc7V5TYwO8LyK45Ui34Z0Tfx91nKnw/www.redcross.org/…/lo…/home-family/prevent-home-fires ). Tsikamu Park is a 55+ community that recently witnessed a fire that resulted in injuries to the residents. We will work in teams of 3 or more; each team consists of an educator to talk about smoke alarm maintenance and fire safety, i.e. family escape plan; a documenter to keep track of needed information and fill out the paperwork; and an installer to install one or two smoke alarms per home (Please, email Sandra for how-to emails to prepare for the event. Installers may bring appropriate tools). Dress in layers and comfortable shoes; we will be walking outdoors but we will also be entering homes for up to 20 minutes at a time.
Here are the links to the training videos:
- Smoke alarm installer: https://l.facebook.com/l/xAQEq9KRNAQEzUIcFHRdl8hanBuEhd9x-u1MDjAHTywMehA/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch…
- Educator: https://l.facebook.com/l/2AQHuyvFpAQGRGL-06PJYtUq5fOHZSsmSBY-ixwYr2_7jGw/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7l5bVpNbuVo%26feature%3Dyoutu.be
- Documenter: https://l.facebook.com/l/xAQEq9KRNAQEzUIcFHRdl8hanBuEhd9x-u1MDjAHTywMehA/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch…
Volunteer capacity can accommodate no more than 40 volunteers on this day. The Red Cross can definitely start planning a next event right after this one, though. Encouraging participants to bring their own tools is helpful, the Red Cross only has enough tools for 5 teams, or 15 people. The Red Cross will bring 150 alarms to install. I do not have the capacity right now to install. The Red Cross does have the capacity to arrange many more of these events for our team.