Los Alamos Little Theatre (LALT) will hold a reading of the play “Tower of Magic” by local playwright Tess Light at 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 2 in the Green Room of the Performing Arts Center, 1670 Nectar St.
“Tower of Magic” is scheduled to be performed in September as part of the LALT 2014-15 season. Anyone interested in reading from the script or listening to the reading is welcome to attend.
In “Tower of Magic,” Sue McFate is finding it difficult to announce her engagement. For one thing, her family has never once heard she has a boyfriend. For another, her intended husband doesn’t even know her real name.
Sue has come home to make the problematic announcement, but finds herself stymied when she realizes that her fiancé, Felix, will be a huge disappointment to her family, which includes an obsessive ornithologist, a compulsive mezzo soprano, a secretive chef, a mostly mute savant and a dual-personality linguist. This crowd won’t be terribly impressed by her choice. Felix is (yawn) a civil engineer.
The characters are:
- Solstitia Aurora McFate, the middle child of the McFate family; a professor of civil engineering; goes by the nickname of “Susan”
- Felix, Susan’s fiancé and also a professor of civil engineering
- Professor Zanzibar McFate, Susan’s father; a professor of ornithology, hot on the trail of the Kirtland’s warbler
- Cappella McFate, Susan’s mother; a former operatic mezzo-soprano who sings when she speaks — except when crisis hits
- Pax McFate, Susan’s older brother; an unemployed mathematician, who can be beautifully eloquent but only in brief spurts
- Tertius/Quartus McFate, Susan’s younger brother; Tertius is a linguist; “Quartus” is his alleged identical twin. In reality there is only one person, who happens to like to take on two separate identities as it suits him.
- Hestia Montgomery, Cappella’s mother, Solstitia’s grandmother; a master chef with a dark past and a passion to guard her recipes.