The Los Alamos Little Theatre presents “8×10: The Fourth Dimension,” eight one-act plays, each about 10 minutes long. The series opens Friday, Nov. 8.
These are the eight plays:
- Love Rules written by Bob Benjamin and directed by Dennis Powell
- Shadows written by John Gustafson and directed by Patrick Webb
- Kubler-Ross Comes to Dinner written by Fred Berl and directed by Roxanne Tapia
- The Philadelphia written by David Ives and directed by Carolyn Pip Evarts
- Woman with a Gun written by Dale Dunn and directed by Jim Ivanovich
- The Phoenix and the Dove written by Maryanne Mimi Adams and directed by Sequoyah Adams-Rice
- Putting the Fun in Funeral written by Fred Berl and directed by Fred Berl
- Shimmer written by Tess Light and directed by Ann Revelle
The show is produced by Eric Björklund and John Gustafson.
“I’m really happy with this format because it gives people a chance to get involved, who might be intimidated by a full production,” Gustafson said.
The producers assembled a number of scripts and invited people who were interested in directing to select their choice. Six of the playwrights are from Los Alamos. Dale Dunn is from Santa Fe and the script for The Philadelphia written by David Ives was purchased.
Two of the authors, Gustafson and Fred Berl, are first-time playwrights.
“About a year and a half ago, a group of us took a playwriting workshop with Deborah Magid,” Gustafson said. “Fred and I were in that group.”
“The idea for my play came from an item in Police Blotter,” Gustafson said. “It was about a woman who could see shadows and hear breathing in her home.”
Berl has two plays in “8×10,” Kubler-Ross Comes to Dinner and Putting the Fun in Funeral. He also is the director for the second play. Berl became involved with LALT when he drove his daughter to an event at the Little Theatre and discovered auditions for “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” in progress.
“I thought I’d give it a try and I got a part!” Berl said. Since then he’s acted and served on the tech crew for a number of productions. It’s quite a thrill to see one’s work on stage, Berl said.
“When I saw ‘Kubler-Ross Comes to Dinner’ performed, I was laughing even though I wrote it,” Berl said. “The actors and director did such a great job.”
And yes, Berl does hate dinner parties as much as his character, he said.
Performances of “8×10: The Fourth Dimension,” are 7:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays Nov. 8, 9, 15, 16, 22 and 23. There is a 2 p.m. Sunday Matinee Nov. 17. Tickets are $12 ($10 for students and seniors) and available at CB FOX and at the door. LALT is at 1670 Nectar St. in Los Alamos.