LAHS senior Ben Mitsunaga. Photo by Roger Brewer
LAHS senior Aaron Hinojos. Photo by Roger Brewer
Los Alamos entered both Varsity and Junior Varsity wrestling teams Saturday, Jan. 19 at the Pecos Invitational.
The LAHS-V cruised to a team victory in the tourney. LAHS-V and JV placed 12 wrestlers in either the finals or consolation finals of their weight class.
LAHS medalists with associated finals result:
- Dominique Montoya 4th, lost 3-9
- John Michael Romero 2nd, lost by pin
- Chandler Lauritzen 1st, won 9-8
- Aaron Hinojos 3rd, win by pin
- Ben Mitsunaga 3rd, win 11-0
- Lane Saunders 2nd, loss 4-8
- Cory Geyer 1st, win by pin
- Mitchell Carson 3rd, win by pin
- Arnoldo Ortiz 1st, win 10-0
- Brian Geyer 1st, win by pin
- Diego Madrid 1st, win by pin
- Nathan Rogers 4th lost by pin
- Peter Brewer 2nd lost by pin
- John Dermer, 2nd lost by pin.
One inspiring story came from Jorge Manzanares of Tierra Encantada Charter School. TECS entered five wrestlers who were participating in their first tourney and in the first year of the small school’s wrestling program.
Manzanares scrapped his way into the consolation semi-finals of the 220 lb. weight class, which he won and placed third.
LAHS was reintroduced to alumnus Alyc Montoya serving as an Official Saturday. Alyc Montoya wrestled for LAHS until a torn ACL ended his high school career.
Montoya is the older brother of Dominique who placed 4th in the 120 lb. wt. class, and the son of Jude Montoya, an assistant coach.