LAHS Junior Varsity Softball Team, back row from left, Gwyneth Johnson, Chantel Bibeault, Danalysa Rodriguez, Jazmyn Montoya, Andrea Dominguez, Sierra Gonzales and Zayda Rodriguez. Center row from left, Ashley Casados, Malaya Haynes, K’Lee Warwick, Sydney Kitts and Sophia Martinez . Front row, Adia Fortin. Courtesy/April Wade
By APRIL WADE
Thursday, April 21, LAHS Junior Varsity Softball takes their first loss in 12 games against Pojoaque 11-9:
- K’Lee Warwick and Sierra Gonzales turned a textbook double play to end the 2nd inning;
- Centerfielder Zayda Rodriguez executed a perfect relay to shortstop Gonzales, who fired it to catcher Sydney Kitts for the first out in the 4th inning;
- Gonzales hit a double and a triple leading the team at the plate going 2 for 3 and 2 RBI’s;
- Malaya Haynes pitched the first 3 innings with 4 K’s, 3 hits and 8 runs;
- Adia Fortin takes the loss with 5 K’s, 6 hits and giving up 3 runs in the 4th to give the lead back to Pojoaque; and
- The last 3 innings went scoreless as both teams pitching and defenses battled it out.
Friday, April 22, LA made the windy journey to Moriarty with hopes of playing a double header, but due to the dusty conditions they walked away with a shutout 15-0:
- Haynes earned the win with 8 strikeouts and 2 hits
- First baseman Sophia Martinez has been LA’s solid glove all year and continues to be a big part of their stellar defense
- Martinez lead at the plate going 3 for 4 with 2 doubles and a single, scoring 3 runs
Saturday, April 23, LA threw a combined no hitter against Española 20-0:
- Warwick and Gonzales turned a 6-4-3 double play to end the first inning;
- Haynes earned the win with 1 inning and 1 K;
- Warwick came in to relieve Haynes and together they earned the no hitter in 3 innings;
- LA stayed disciplined at the plate and it paid off;
- Andrea Dominguez went 2 for 3 at the plate leading with 3 RBI’s and scoring 2 runs; and
- Jazmyn Montoya went 2 for 3 hitting a triple, a single, 2 RBI’s and scoring 3 runs.
LAHS JV players had the opportunity to throw out the first pitch at the opening day ceremonies Saturday. These players have been involved in LALL since the beginning, so it was an honor for them to throw out the first pitch like so many girls before them.
Saturday, April 23 Los Alamos Little League Opening Day:
- K’Lee Warwick, 8th grade, pitcher;
- Malaya Haynes, 9th grade, pitcher;
- Sydney Kitts, 10th grade, catcher; and
- Gwyneth Johnson, 10th grade, catcher.
K’Lee Warwick, Gwyneth Johnson, Malaya Haynes and Sydney Kitts. Courtesy/April Wade