A Santa Fe High School student, Aaron Encinias, will be held in a youth detention center pending trial on a charge of conspiring to engage in terrorist activity.
First Judicial District Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer ordered the detention Tuesday saying Encinias poses a risk to others. Charges against two other students, Santiago Trujillo and Julian Carter were dropped.
The three students were arrested last week when other students found a letter on campus, which included plans for a mass shooting at SFHS along with a diagram showing the layout of the school and a list of teachers and students who would be targeted. According to Court documents, Encinias admitted that he wrote the shooting plan and the other two students admitted to having looked at it. They claimed the plan was a joke.
Deputy District Attorney Jason Lidyard told the Court that Encinias was a danger to others and himself because he had planned to commit suicide after the mass shooting.
Following the hearing, District Attorney Marco Serna issued a written statement.
“The safety of our students, educators and parents is our top priority, and that’s why we successfully petitioned the Court to detain the individual accused of writing the shooting plan. While this investigation remains ongoing, I want our families to know they are safe at our schools and in our community, and that we are working closely with Santa Fe Public Schools and Santa Fe Police regarding this matter,” Serna said.
“As my office proceeds with its investigation, we will update the public further. Thanks to the quick actions of Santa Fe Public Schools and first responders, we prevented what could have been a horrific tragedy.”