The Betty Ehart Alamos Senior Center will host a free Valentine’s Day Piano Concert at noon Thursday, Feb. 14 with piano virtuoso Juanita Madland.
The public is invited to Adagios Amor, featuring luscious, mesmerizing pieces that have inspired lovers through the ages.
“The concert is an offering to Los Alamos,” Madland said.
Madland holds a Masters of Music from the University of New Mexico, where she studied with renowned pianist Evelyne Brancart. Her European venues include the Peter Paul Rubens Museum in Antwerp, the Salzburg Mozart branch in Trieste, Vienna and recitals in Oslo, Paris and Frankfurt.
She was the New Mexico Concerto winner with Beethoven’s Emperor and played this piece and Chopin’s Concerto in F Minor with Los Alamos Symphony. Upcoming concert venues include Arizona, Wisconsin, Texas and Minnesota.
Madland was the Professional Music Teachers of New Mexico Teacher of the Year in 2002 (Music Teachers National Association-MTNA), and holds a permanent Nationally Certified Teacher of Music title earned by only 2 percent of MTNA members.
She was a faculty member at the University of New Mexico-Los Alamos for 15 years. She continues to teach piano to private students.
- J.S. Bach – Italian Concerto, Movement Two in D minor
- Mozart – Sonata K.457, Movement Two in E flat major
- Schubert – Impromptu, Op.899, in G flat major
- Chopin – “Cello” Etude Op.25, No.7, in C sharp minor
- Schumann – Romance Op.28, in F sharp major
- Brahms – Intermezzo Op.118, No.2 in A major
- Ginastera – Danza de la moza donosa
- Beethoven – Emperor Concerto, Movement Two in B major: Dammernd (close of day)