LANL Director Charlie McMillan
Memo to Los Alamos National Laboratory employees from Director Charlie McMillan:
I’m pleased to confirm what you may have already seen in news reports. The federal budget impasse has been temporarily resolved. I am lifting the suspension of operations planned for the end of the day Friday, Oct. 18. All LANS employees should report for work as normal (Monday.)
It will be important for us to resume affected operations in a methodical and deliberate way. Just as it takes a considerable amount of time to suspend operations at a place like ours, a return to normal operations will take time. Please work with your managers and Facility Operations Directors to accomplish this safely and securely. When in doubt, ask.
- We are beginning the process of formally recalling our subcontractors. This may take a number of days depending on the program, funding on-hand and release of FY 2014 funds.
- We will complete time collection for this week but will temporarily suspend collection of time for the weeks of Oct. 21 and 28. Corrections for those weeks will be made available next week.
- I am continuing to require PAD approval for all travel for the time being.
- Plans to extend training deadlines have been cancelled. Please stay current on your required training.
- The one-week extension of year-end input in the PerforM system will stand.
Although we have more clarity on the furlough question, the effects of the Continuing Resolution on Lab programs are not as clear. I will share additional information as it becomes available. Our conservative stewardship of taxpayer funds has given us the ability to deal with the current uncertainties, and this stewardship will need to continue. We will maintain the Laboratory Integrated Stewardship Council (LISC) for continued oversight of our fiscal matters.
I would like to thank the many employees who worked to plan and execute an orderly closure. They, like the rest of us, planned for the worst and hoped for the best. I would also like to welcome back our subcontractors as they return over the next few days. You are partners in our success.
We have been through quite a bit over the last few years. I am thankful for your professionalism and dedication to our missions, and trust that those qualities will guide us again as we continue our work for the nation.