High Flyers win 1st place Level 2 Team at Autumn Invitational. Gymnasts from left, Valarie Valdez, Anna Kirkland, Cammie Pressett, Ashley Hammond, Elizabeth Merril, Megan Martinez, Tara McDonald, Kwani Moya Lopez, Aubrey Talachy, Ashley Smith, Violet Henderson and Emily Smith in front. Courtesy photo.
Level 2 High Flyers gymnasts were awarded the 1st place team trophy last weekend at the Autumn Invitational in Rio Rancho. The team of 12 girls scored 106.325 points to capture the top spot over teams from Albuquerque and Belen.
In the individual competition, High Flyers gymnasts took first place all-around in two age divisions, and received 10 first place event awards.
Top finishes in level and age group included:
- Elizabeth Merrill: 1st on Bars, 2nd all-round
- Emily Smith: 1st on vault; 1st on floor;3rd all-round
- Tara McDonald: 1st on vault, 1st of bars, 1st on floor; 1st all-round
- Ashley Hammond 2nd all-round
- Megan Martinez 3rd All-round
- Ashley Smith 6th All-round
Age 10 and older
- Valarie Valdez: 1st on Beam; 1st all-round
- Anna Kirkland: 2nd all-round
- Cammie Pressett: 1st on Vault; 3rd all-round
- Violet Henderson:1st on Bars; 1st on Floor;4th all-round
Coach David Vosburgh said the Level 2 team shows a lot of depth this year, with strong event and all-around competitors. “The girls are showing continuous improvement in skills and meet scores this season. I am pleased with the hard work and dedication the girls are putting into their gymnastics and predict we will have a successful year.”
Tara McDonald scored a 9.1 on vault and joins the High Flyers 9.0 club with Emily Smith, Violet Henderson, Alex Hinkley and Anna Kirkland. All girls have scored a 9.0 or better in competition this year. The next competition for the Level 2 team is in January. The High Flyers level 3 & 4 teams compete in Albuquerque this weekend.