Gov. Susana Martinez
ALBUQUERQUE ― Wednesday, Gov. Susana Martinez announced the launch of the 2018 New Mexico True Summer Reading Challenge – which is now in its sixth year.
Martinez made the announcement at the South Broadway Library, and was joined by students, educators, community partners, and sponsors dedicated to encouraging elementary age children to read throughout the summer break.
“Our students should be expanding their thinking and imagination not just in the classroom but year-round,” Martinez said. “The New Mexico True Summer Reading Challenge encourages our students to avoid the ‘summer slide’ during their break from school by encouraging them to read all summer. Reading is the key to all knowledge—it guarantees our students a better future. By participating in the challenge students will be better prepared to hit the ground running in the new school year.”
The New Mexico True Summer Reading Challenge is open to all New Mexico elementary school students, ages 5 to 12. All participants submitting a completed log showing they have read six books will receive a New Mexico True bookmark and certificate. Students submitting a log with 12 or more books read alongside an essay explaining why they love New Mexico will also receive a bookmark and certificate, and will be entered into a drawing for one of the following grand prizes:
- One reader and three of their family members will receive an all-expense paid trip Disneyland in California.
- Two readers will enjoy a balloon ride with Governor Martinez and First Gentlemen Chuck Franco.
- Four readers will become ABQ BioPark Junior Zookeepers for a day, including a behind-the scenes tour and admission tickets to the ABQ BioPark Zoo.
- Three readers will receive an opportunity to meet the UNM Lobos Head Basketball Coach, tickets to a game, be announced on the court before the game, and receive an autographed ball signed by the team.
- Three readers will receive an opportunity to meet the NMSU Aggies Head Basketball Coach, tickets to a game, be announced on the court before the game, and receive an autographed ball signed by the team.
- One reader and their family will receive a “family four pack” for the 2018 New Mexico State Fair, including four admission tickets into the Fair and four tickets to the one of the Fair’s concert/rodeo events at Tingley Coliseum.
Prizes are made possible by contributions from various agencies and departments of the State of New Mexico, with generous donations from the following community partners: The Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce, the Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce, the University of New Mexico Athletic Department, the New Mexico State University Athletic Department, X-treme-lee Fun Balloon Adventures, New Mexico State Fair, The Waite Company, New Mexico State Parks, NM Department of Cultural Affairs, the New Mexico State Library, the Albuquerque BioPark, the Los Alamos History Museum, Ghost Ranch, Lago Rico Inc., the New Mexico Museum of Space History, Heritage Hotels & Resorts, Inc., and Trek Bicycle Superstore.
Reading logs and brochures have been sent to public schools across the state. Participants must be New Mexico residents attending an elementary school in the 2018-2019 school year, or 5-12 years old by September 1, 2018. Residency and eligibility will be verified for all grand prize winners.
For a complete listing of rules and requirements and to apply online, please visit PED’s website.