Republican candidate Roger Waterman sent shockwaves through the local community this morning when he announced his withdrawal from the Los Alamos County Council race.
Waterman said that he deeply regrets having to resign from the race but that recent business and professional issues have left him no choice, adding that he greatly appreciates the efforts of his many supporters.
County Council Chair Sharon Stover expressed her thoughts on Waterman’s resignation during a telephone conversation with the Los Alamos Daily Post this morning.
“Speaking as a private citizen, I really supported Roger and I know that he put a lot of thought into his decision to run for Council,” Stover said. “I’m sorry for him and any candidate who has to withdraw but sometimes unforeseen things happen … I know it can’t be an easy call to make.”
Local GOP Chair Jordan Redmond also spoke about Waterman’s withdrawal this morning.
“We are of course very disappointed to lose Roger as a candidate and we wish him only the very best,” Redmond said. “The Los Alamos County Republican Party Central Committee must now appoint a Republican registered in the County of Los Alamos to fill this vacancy.”
It takes a majority vote of the local Central Committee to appoint an individual to fill a vacancy left when a candidate drops out of a race.
The deadline to do so is Tuesday, Sept. 11, according to the New Mexico Elections Office election handbook..
“We encourage everyone interested in being considered by the Central Committee to fill this vacancy in the County Council race to please send us an email at email@example.com,” Redmond said.
Los Alamos County Voter & Candidate Information:
- Tuesday, Sept. 4: Last day a candidate may withdraw from the General Election
- Tuesday, Oct. 9: Absentee voting begins in the Los Alamos Clerk’s Office (8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday)
- Tuesday, Oct. 9: Voter registration closes at 5 p.m. in the Clerk’s Office. Residents who would like to make changes to their voter registration or register to vote, may do so in the Office of the County Clerk, at 2451 Central Avenue, Suite D. Voter registration forms are also available at the State of New Mexico Motor Vehicle Field Office, Los Alamos and White Rock Library locations.
- Saturday, Oct. 20: Early voting begins at the Los Alamos Community Building and White Rock Fire Station. Dates and times for both locations:
Saturday: 10/20, 10/27 & 11/3, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Tuesday–Friday: 10/23-10/26, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Tuesday–Friday: 10/30-11/2, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Friday, Nov. 2: Last day to mail an absentee ballot
- Saturday, Nov. 3: All absentee/early voting ends
- Monday, Nov. 5: Last day to cast a replacement absentee ballot
- Tuesday, Nov. 6: General Election Day, Vote Centers are Open 7 a.m.-7 p.m. and absentee ballots shall be accepted until 7 p.m. in the Clerk’s Office.