This Week’s Recipe:
- 6 medium size onions, sliced (rings Preferred)
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 Cups White Wine
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 7 Cups beef broth(I prefer 5 cans of Campbell’s consommé plus one box of Swanson’s beef broth –NO SALT)
- 7 Slices Rustic Bread slices or cubes
- 7 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 7 slices Provolone Cheese
- Good Parmesan cheese, grated
Melt butter in a large soup pot, add onions and sauté. When just golden on edges, cover with lid and cook on medium low for about 10 minutes until onions are limp.
Then add sugar and beef broth, cook for 3 minutes. Taste soup to see if it needs the salt added. (Above may be made ahead of time, refrigerate, then follow recipe below). Spray inside of soup crocks with non-stick vegetable spray. Ladle hot soup into small soup crocks that are oven proof.
Put rustic bread or cubes on top of each soup. Sprinkle bread with Parmesan cheese and top with mozzarella and Provolone. Broil 350 degrees until melted and golden.
French Onion Soup