Officials in the Los Alamos Fire Department announced this morning that the County will relax fire restrictions from Stage II to Stage I, effective at 8 a.m. Wednesday, July 10.
The County has been under Stage II restrictions since June 25 due to extreme fire danger.
The relaxation of fire restrictions is based upon:
- Local weather improvement, including:
o Recent regular rainfall
o The local seven-day forecast, which reflects continued rain and cloud cover
o Rising humidity values in the weather
- Fuel condition improvements, including:
o Reduction in fire danger level, from Extreme to Moderate
o Reduction in ignition potential, from 100% to 50%
o Increase in the dead fuel moistures to double-digit levels
- Daily fire occurrence situation
o The number of lightning-caused fire starts remains steady; however, large fire potential is down
o Adequate fire resources are available
When the County returns to Stage I Fire restrictions on Wednesday, the following actions will continue to be prohibited:
- Building, maintaining or using an open fire on all Los Alamos County lands except within developed campsites (concrete pad with metal fire ring); metal grills using charcoal or propane are acceptable on North Mesa campgrounds, at Overlook Park and at any park within Los Alamos County.
- Smoking is prohibited except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least 3-feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- Sale or use of certain fireworks restrictions cited in a proclamation passed by the Council on June 25 remain in effect. The proclamation expires July 25 unless rescinded sooner by LAFD. For a copy of the proclamation, visit www.losalamosnm.us/News.
Stage I restrictions will be in effect until the fire danger level is reduced to Low.
LAFD continues to work with the U.S. Forest Service, Los Alamos National Laboratory Emergency Management and the National Park Service to closely monitor local wildfire conditions. Residents will be advised if/when these conditions change.