On June 20, the Los Alamos School Board announced additional student incentives to help address the “summer slide” in reading skills.
This is the final week for participation.
The idea began at an Aspen Elementary School kickoff when Gov. Susana Martinez announced a statewide reading challenge encouraging students to read more books over the summer break.
Reading is the foundation for learning and when students read well, they are better positioned to succeed academically, in the workplace, and in life.
Los Alamos Public Schools, Los Alamos County, Los Alamos Commerce and Development Corporation, LANL Foundation, and Los Alamos National Laboratory built a partnership to provide more than $5,000 in extra prizes for Los Alamos students. Students will receive Chamber Checks that can be used in local Los Alamos businesses.
In order to be eligible for prizes, students must follow the state Reading Challenge guidelines. This includes registering for the challenge, reading at least six books, and attending grades K-6 (2015-16 school year).
All entries must be postmarked by July 31, 2015. Prizes and awards from the state are listed below. More information can be found at: http://ped.state.nm.us/ped/ReadingChallenge/index.html
For questions, District Reading Coac Nila Montoya at 505.709.8408 or LAPS Superintendent Kurt Steinhaus at 505.663.2230.
State Grand Prizes for the Summer Reading Challenge include:
- All-expenses-paid family vacation to Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Florida
- Hot air balloon ride with Gov. Susana Martinez and First Gentleman Chuck Franco
- Family of four overnight stay at Hotel Albuquerque, admission tickets to both the High Noon History Tour and the Ghost Tour of Old Town, and tickets for Sandia peak Aerial Tramway rides
- Two tickets to ride the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad and enjoy lunch on the train
- An adventure as a Junior Zookeeper for a day at the ABQ BioPark Zoo
- Meet a Lobo head basketball coach, free tickets to a Lobo basketball game, take part in a center-court ceremony at The Pit, and receive an autographed Lobo basketball
- Meet an Aggie head basketball coach, free tickets to an Aggie basketball game, take part in a center-court ceremony at The Pan Am Center, and receive an autographed Aggie basketball
- Family four-pack of admission tickets into the 2015 New Mexico State Fair and to one of the concert/rodeo events at Tingley Coliseum
- Real-life fossil digging adventure with the state’s paleontologist and a behind-the-scenes tour of the New Mexico Museum of Natural History
- A culture pass good at 16 museums and monuments across the state.