The Craig Martin Experience will perform at the 5th Annual UNM-LA Music Marathon. Courtesy/CME
With just over 30 volunteer performers scheduled, the 5th Annual UNM-LA Music Marathon will take place 2-8 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 8, in the Student Center on the UNM-LA campus.
Historically, the UNM-LA Music Marathon has raised more than $4,600, featuring as many as 60 performers, and attracting 800 audience members. The event is co-chaired by UNM-LA adjunct music instructor Juanita Madland and Rheta Moazzami, with the intent of funding UNM-LA scholarships.
“In our first year we raised nearly $1,500 dollars, and we’d like to see that top $2,000 this year,” Madland said. “We have a great lineup of talented performers willing to give their time and talent for such a worthwhile cause.”
The concept is pretty simple Moazzami said. “We have performers scheduled throughout the day. The public is welcome to come and listen anytime for as long as they want. There is no admission fee, we just ask for donations if people feel so inclined.”
Moazzami also said this is the first year audience members will have a chance to win a door prize, thanks to our generous local businesses, such as Metzger’s, Radio Shack (now selling music instruments), Village Arts, Khalsa Acupuncture, Professional Skin Care Choices, Casa Mesita (which supports a dozen non-profit agencies), and the Bradbury Science Museum.
UNM-LA Music Marathon Schedule*:
- 1:45 Piano: Cathy Turner
- 2:00 Piano: Benjamin Christenson, Sonja Ebey, Troy Makela, Joseph Dale, William Dale, and Aidan Ortiz
- 2:20 Violin and piano: Kathleen Brodnax
- 2:30 Violin and piano: Nancy Ullmann, violin, accompanied by Robin Gurule
- 2:35 Piano duet: Ruth Skoug and Juanita Madland
- 2:40 Bassoons: Karin Ebey, Katie Brown
- 2:50 The Little Piano Group performing the music of composer Edvard Grieg: Rheta Moazzami, Karin Ebey, Robin Gurule, Claudia Hilko, Judy Hutson, Bonnie Kiang, Phyllis Slattery, Susan Mendel, Joyce Guzik, Darien Raistrick, Juanita Madland
- 4:00 Stephanie Sydoriak reading from her book 100% American 100% Ukrainian
- 4:15 Cello: Rebecca Caron
- 4:30 Joyce Lynn reading Shakespeare sonnets
- 4:45 Viol da Gamba: David Hanson accompanied by Juanita Madland
- 5:00 Baroque recorder: Donna and John O’Donnell
- 5:20 Bluegrass Band: Strung Out
- 6:00 String trio: Bill Houston, Rachel Hixson, Samantha Hixson
- 6:45 Jazz Band: Craig Martin Experience
*Tentative schedule, subject to change.
To make a donation to the UNM-LA Music Marathon, call Gayle Burns at 505.661.4681.