Dr. Steven Girrens to serve as NTESS Nuclear Deterrence Associate Lab Director
The National Nuclear Security Administration awarded the management contract of Sandia National Laboratories (SNL) to National Technology & Engineering Solutions of Sandia (NTESS) Jan. 16 and Dr. Steven Girrens of Los Alamos will serve as the nuclear deterrence associate lab director at SNL.
Girrens will lead nuclear weapons, stockpile management, Office of Research & Development, Safeguards & Security Technology Programs, and operating and managing nuclear facilities. He brings nearly 40 years of experience working at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) in nearly all facets of engineering, including preliminary design, computational analysis, prototype testing, and transition to manufacturing.
Girrens, who served on the Los Alamos County Council 2013-2016 and his wife Sharon Stover who served as Los Alamos County Clerk until Dec. 31, 2016 declined to comment at this time on Girrens’ new job.
Key personnel for SNL’s new management contract include:
- Dr. Stephen Younger Lab Director;
- Mr. David Douglass Deputy Lab Director;
- Dr. Steve Girrens Nuclear Deterrence;
- Mr. Doug Bruder Defense Nuclear Non-Proliferation;
- Dr. Susan Seestrom Advance Science & Technology;
- Ms. Dori Ellis Director SNL/California;
- Mr. Mike Burns National Security Program;
- Mr. John Clymo Infrastructure Operations;
- Mr. Mark Sellers Mission Assurance; and
- Mr. Scott Aeilts Mission Services.
National Technology & Engineering Solutions of Sandia includes:
- Honeywell International Inc.;
- Northrop Grumman Technical Services, Inc.;
- Universities Research Association;
- Longenecker & Associates; and
- Sandia Technical Partners to lead SNL into the future.
National Technology & Engineering Solutions of Sandia (NTESS) will manage Sandia National Laboratories (Sandia) with relentless pursuit of scientific, engineering, and business excellence. Working in partnership with the NNSA and other sponsors, NTESS will enable Sandia to realize its full potential as a trusted provider of technology to defend the nation. Our leadership team brings decades of experience with nuclear weapons and will directly support Sandia’s annual certification responsibility. We will lead our innovative team of experts in engineering, science, and operations with demonstrated experience in driving effective change. Our engaged corporate partners will ensure that best-in-class business and operations practices are smoothly implemented at Sandia, improving efficiency of the Laboratories and delivering “exceptional service in the national interest.”