Daily Postcard: Scene From Bandelier

Daily Postcard: Scene from Bandelier. Humans have inhabited the Bandelier area for more than 10,000 years. The earliest residents were nomadic hunter-gatherers but the first permanent settlements are estimated to have been constructed around 1150 CE. By 1550, Cochiti, San Felipe, San Ildefonso, Santa Clara and Santo Domingo had become homes to the Ancestral Pueblo people along the Rio Grande because resource depletion and severe drought forced them to find new land. In the mid-1700s Spanish settlers moved into Frijoles Canyon and later brought Adolph F. A. Bandelier to the area. President Woodrow Wilson officially named Bandelier National Monument in 1916 and most of the work to create the park infrastructure was finished by 1941. During World War II the park was closed to the public for a few years and was taken over by the military to house Manhattan Project scientists. Source: BNM. Courtesy/NPS

CSTsiteisloaded