Common Core Parent Institute Hosted by LAPS
Parents and community members are invited to a Common Core Parent Institute Friday, Sept. 20, hosted by Los Alamos Public Schools.
The institute begins with registration at 8 a.m. and concludes at 4 p.m. at Crossroads Bible Church.
To successfully implement Common Core across the Los Alamos school system, parents need to understand what we are doing and why. For example, there are new expectations of skills and knowledge for K-12 students in literacy and math. Common Core standards identify what students should know and be able to do at the end of each grade level.
All New Mexican students, starting from the earliest grades, will be learning advanced skills in English and Math that they need to earn high school and college degrees. These skills include confidence in their ability to read, write, speak, complete projects, work in groups with friends, and use technology.
Parents attending the institute have a wide array of interesting workshops to choose from during the day-long event. A sample of topics includes:
- Understanding State Assessments on the Common Core
- Developing Higher Order Thinking Skills in Your Child
- Developing Relationship Skills to Impact Your Child’s Learning and Success
- Common Core Activities to Help Your Child in Reading
- Using Computers and Internet Web-Sites for Advanced Learning
- Common Core Activities to Help Your Child in Math
- Understanding Developmental Learning Stages of K-6 Students
- Understanding Developmental Learning Stages of 7-12 Students
- Maximizing the Brain’s Potential for Learning the CCSS
The event is open to the public. Those wishing more information are asked to the call the LAPS District Office at 663-2230.