ALBUQUERQUE– Between finishing college, starting a career and sorting out personal finances, people in their 20s are living through a time replete with complex planning and logistics.
One especially important milestone to consider comes at the age of 26 – the age people may no longer be covered under a parent’s health plan.
Navigating the world of health insurance can be challenging, but beWellnm is here to help 26-year-olds (and everyone else for that matter) figure out their options. Here’s a list of things young people and those who care about them should keep in mind when shopping for health insurance:
- Healthcare insurance is a proactive way to take care of your health. When injured or sick, individual health plans provide access to a network of medical professionals. In addition, qualifying health plans provide access to no-cost preventative care, such as regular check-ups, screenings and vaccinations.
- When choosing a plan, a monthly payment is required to keep the insurance active. This payment is called a premium, and it can vary based on the coverage offered in the plan, the plan’s deductible.
- Choosing the right plan is a different process for everyone. Topics to research include costs, specific health care needs, providers in a given network, and what’s covered in each plan.
- BeWellnm offers local help, in the form of agents and brokers, who can guide you through the enrollment process at no cost to you. Other options include a live chat option on bewellnm.com and an in-person enrollment center open year-round.
- Individuals who turn 26 outside of open enrollment are eligible for a special enrollment period. The individual can apply for up to 60 days before the loss of coverage, and or up to 60 days after the loss of coverage. However, we highly encourage the application to be completed before the loss of coverage occurs.
About beWellnm, New Mexico’s Health Insurance Exchange
BeWellnm was created to help individuals and small businesses get access to affordable health insurance plans. BeWellnm helps consumers compare health insurance plans and choose the plan that works best for their health needs and budget. BeWellnm also helps individuals determine whether they are eligible for premium assistance and if so, at what level. Through beWellnm for Small Business, small businesses are able to purchase competitively priced health insurance plans and offer their employees the ability to choose from an array of plans. Certified agents and brokers, as well as enrollment counselors, are available throughout the state to help with signing up for health insurance.
To find more information on beWellnm, New Mexico’s Health Insurance Exchange, visit www.beWellnm.com or call us at 1-833-ToBeWell.