Author Gail Rubin To Speak At Mesa Public Library On ‘A Good Goodbye’ At 7 p.m. Thursday

Author Gail Rubin

LIBRARY News:

Gail Rubin is the featured speaker in Mesa Public Library’s ongoing Authors Speak series at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 24 in the Library’s upstairs rotunda.

Her award-winning book, A Good Goodbye: Funeral Planning for Those Who Don’t Plan to Die, brings light to a dark subject. The book was awarded Best of Show in the 2011 New Mexico Book Awards and was a finalist in the Family & Relationships category of the 2010 Book of the Year Award from ForeWord Reviews. She uses humor to talk about one of the touchiest subjects there is: Death. As she says “talking about sex won’t make you pregnant, and talking about funerals won’t make you dead.”

Rubin has trademarked the term “The Doyenne of Death®” as it describes many of her projects and activities. She helps get end-of-life and funeral planning conversations started with a light touch on a serious subject. She hosts the award-winning TV/DVD series, A Good Goodbye, as well as an Internet radio program.

As an award-winning speaker, she uses humor and funny films to attract people to topics many would rather avoid: taking care of advance medical directives, estate planning and funeral planning. She also helped pioneer the “Death Cafe” movement in the United States by hosting the first one west of the Mississippi, in Albuquerque, in September 2012.

“Even though humans have a 100 percent mortality rate, less than 30 percent of adults do end-of-life planning, such as wills, advance medical directives and pre-need funeral planning,” Rubin said. “That leaves more than 70 percent of us unprepared and devastated, not IF but WHEN there’s a death in the family.”

Rubin also will conduct an obituary writing workshop at the Betty Ehart Senior Center Friday, and offers a “death café” following the workshop. Call the Senior Center to register for the workshop at 505.662.8920.

The Authors Speak Series is a monthly event featuring local and regional authors speaking about their writing on a variety of subjects such as local and state history, travel, outdoor activities, fiction, Native American history and culture, poetry and more. Upcoming speakers include Benjamin Radford, author of Bad Clowns, in April; Anita Rodriguez, artist and author of Coyota in the Kitchen, in May; and Elizabeth J. Church, author of The Atomic Weight of Love, in June. The series is supported by the Friends of the Los Alamos County Library System. The talks are free and begin at 7 p.m., on the fourth Thursday of each month, followed by the opportunity to meet the authors and enjoy refreshments.

For more information about programs at the Los Alamos County Library System, call Katy Korkos at 505.662.8247.

For more information about Gail Rubin, visit her website, http://agoodgoodbye.com/.

CSTsiteisloaded