Open enrollment for health insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace is here. From Nov. 15, 2014, through Feb. 15, 2015, individuals and families in the Los Alamos community and across the country can enroll and gain access to affordable, comprehensive healthcare coverage.
Whether you’re currently uninsured and enrolling for the first time, or enrolled in a 2014 Marketplace plan and want to re-enroll or make a change in your health coverage, now is the time to review your and your family’s needs and make sure you’re appropriately covered with the right plan for you.
The Health Insurance Marketplace in New Mexico is located online at www.healthcare.gov or www.nmhix.com.
As you investigate your options on the Marketplace, Los Alamos Medical Center can help answer questions and ensure that you have the right coverage. In addition, we have a certified Healthcare Guide available 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Tuesday to assist residents in choosing healthcare and the enrollment process.
Re-enrolling for 2015
If you purchased a Marketplace plan last year and are re-enrolling, review your existing plan and determine if it still meets your needs. Pay close attention to plan changes, premiums, and whether your doctor and preferred hospital are still in the plan. Plans and estimated premiums for 2015 coverage are available for review at www.healthcare.gov or www.nmhix.com.
Every plan is different – your plan may automatically re-enroll you for 2015, or you may be required to take action to renew your coverage. By now, you should have received two important notices about your coverage: one from your insurance company, and one from the Marketplace. These notices will provide an overview of what you can expect and action steps (if any) you must take to re-enroll.
- If you will be automatically re-enrolled in your same or a similar plan, you don’t have to do anything to keep your coverage. Your premiums, however, may change beginning Jan. 1, 2015.
- If your plan is not going to be offered in 2015, or you will not be automatically enrolled, the Marketplace or your insurer will send you a notice explaining what to do next.
- Even if your current plan features automatic re-enrollment, you can still choose a different plan on the Marketplace if you wish. Because premiums may change from year to year, it is recommended that you explore your options on the 2015 Marketplace during open enrollment.
Key Enrollment Dates
Mark the following dates on your calendar for open enrollment season:
- Nov. 15, 2014: Open enrollment begins on the Marketplace.
- Dec. 15, 2014: Deadline to enroll in coverage beginning Jan. 1, 2015
- Dec. 31, 2014: Last day of 2014 Marketplace plan year coverage.
- Jan. 1, 2015: First date of available coverage, depending on how soon you enroll (or re-enroll).
- Feb. 15, 2015: Open enrollment for 2015 ends.
Los Alamos Medical Center Can Help
If you’re new to the enrollment process or re-enrolling and have questions, Los Alamos Medical Center is ready to help. We have Certified Application Counselors (CACs) onsite every Tuesday to support you in the application process.
Contact us today for help. You can call us toll-free at 1-855-241-8137. Our CACs are available for phone or personal appointments in Los Alamos 9 a.m. to 4p.m., Tuesdays.
Take control of your health by considering health insurance this year.